måndag 18 oktober 2010

Faro´s daughter by Georgette Heyer



My own picture of a dress from the exhibition at Jane Austen Centre. Actually a copy of one worn in a tv-adaption of one of Austen´s books. 


Once in a while I´ll write about a book I love, and what better book to start with than this? The first time I read it I was 12 years old, and my mum introduced me to Georgette Heyer in a smart move to make me read books in English. It was my first experience with romance novels and I never turned back:). Sassy heroes and clever heroines was Georgette Heyer´s trademark and maybe never more so than in Faro´s daughter -the story of the gaming club hostess who runs into big trouble when she meets the cousin of her young love-struck admirer, who actually seeks her up to buy her off!

Georgette Heyer published 40 historical novels, and this one is defintely one of my favourites. It is burning hot without ever introducing bedroom, sex or even lighter clothing...after all it was first published in 1941! But who needs sexscenes when the hero is a crewcut supermale like Max Ravenscar, with an intelligent,smart-ass heroine like Deborah Grantham? The dialogue is well-written, fun and fuming with held-back emotions and the conflict is there, as well as the gallery of secondary interesting characters. Regency romance never gets any better than this!

Ofcourse Georgette Heyer was also meticulous with her research and so, even though she cleverly disguised it, you will find that by reading her books you will be fed loads of information on upper-class life in England at this particular time in history. She was also an expert on writing dialogue that is time-honoring without being too historical and thereby boring. Maybe the most difficult task as a historical romance writer.

Simply there is so much to learn from Georgette Heyer as a writer, but most of all she is great fun to read!!

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar